As a small business entrepreneur, it"s critical for you to get more exposure to get more clients and let your business grow further. Several marketing strategies could help you reach that goal. You can market your business in your community, but the trend right now is making a name for yourself online.
To have a reputable brand online, many marketers recommend the use of SEO as it would be a smart investment to do so. SEO can help you get more brand awareness as well as increased customer engagement. But, as a business owner, you may not have the time to concentrate on making your marketing tactic flourish. SEO needs time and consistency to make it work. So, it makes sense that you need to hire a local SEO company to get it done. How do you choose the right team to work with?
Learn something about SEO.
To hire the right candidate, you need to understand what search engine optimization is. You can try to learn the basics to get an idea of how the potential company can help you. You"ll also be able to ask the right questions and know the sort of answers you should be getting if you know how SEO works. There are a lot of resources for beginners online that you could educate yourself with.
You can start with understanding the function of links, keywords and the layout of your website. Acquiring such information will help you get a more thorough discussion about the project with the right team.
Experience does count.
We don"t say that you shouldn"t hire newbies, but experience does matter when it comes to delivering results. Some experts may charge you real low to catch your attention, and they might put you on a “general" plan which will not perform well. National SEO is not just “one size for all," it needs to be customized for your business to adequately optimized for search engines. The more experience the company has, the more that they know what to do. But, don"t just take their word for it. Ask for references that would prove their experience in the industry and ask about the outcome of the projects they had with previous clients.
Consultant vs. Agency
It"s important to understand the difference between a consultant and agency. Sometimes, people hire the wrong people who in the end, are not really what they need. You should know what type of service you need before hiring one:
- Consultant – A consultant is also referred to as a freelancer. He"s not a part of an agency and mostly focuses on advising to help businesses boost their traffic organically. A consultant"s primary role is to provide recommended strategies but not fix the issues they find. If you want to hire a consultant, you would probably have an in-house SEO team to implement the imposed tactics.
- Agency – An SEO agency would be composed of several people such as writers, account managers and so on. They will help you by using various SEO strategies like PPC campaigns, content creation and whichever works for your business. If you have no team to take care of all these aspects, then an SEO agency is the right fit for you.
Ask the right questions.
To choose the right candidate for the job, you need to ask the right questions. If you were able to learn the basics of SEO as we mentioned above, you would be able to inquire appropriately and test the knowledge of your prospect SEO expert. Here are some things you should include to ask:
- Type of communication and frequency
- Frequency of updates and reports
- Minimum contract
- Rates, payment method, and billing